2021 Calgary Stampede Team Cattle Penning Championship
Planning is currently underway for the 2021 Calgary Stampede.
Please note - we are continuing to work with various levels of government and health officials on specific safety measures to support the best and safest Stampede, and recognize the need for our planning to be flexible and adaptable. As such, current plans may be required to change as we draw closer to Stampede.
Championship finals will take place at the Nutrien Western Event Centre 2021-July 15-18, 2021
Watch a race against the clock as the athleticism and skills of horse and rider square off against the herd instincts of cattle. This fast paced event gives a team of three riders on horseback 60 seconds to separate three specifically identified cattle from a herd of 30, and get them into a 20’ x 24’ pen at the opposite end of the arena. Teamwork is the key with all three riders working in harmony to cut out the correct cattle and drive them to the pen. The Calgary Stampede Team Cattle Penning Championships featuring teams vying for championship buckles in four different classes, each determined by the skill and experience of the competitors. A qualifying event is held over three days in Stavely, Alberta, with the top 20 teams in each class advancing to the Calgary Stampede Championships, held in the Nutrien Western Event Center.
Updated as of May 28, 2021
|Event Dates:||July 12–18, 2021|
|Early Entry Date:||May 1, 2021|
|Entry Closing Date:||May 28, 2021 4:00 PM|
|Location:||Offsite & Nutrien Western Event Centre|
Please note the following important dates for entry deadlines and fee payments:
|May 28, 2021 at 4:00PM||Entry Deadline: All entries must be submitted on penning.ca by this time. NO entries will be accepted late.|
|May 28, 2021 at 4:00PM||
Team Changes prior to this time will be at a cost of $20 per change or deletion. Team changes or deletions AFTER this time and prior to June 11 will be at a cost of $100 per change.
Email email@example.com to request any team changes or deletions.
|June 4, 2021 at 4:00PM||Invoice Distribution Deadline: All invoices will be sent out no later than this date and time. If you have NOT received an invoice from our office please contact us immediately. Not receiving an invoice is NOT grounds for delinquent payment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-261-0162 if you have not received an invoice.|
|June 11, 2021 at 8:00AM||Team Change Deadline: No further changes will be permitted after 8:00AM.|
|June 11, 2021 at 4:00PM||Payment Deadline: All payments and signed exhibitor agreements are due at this time. Payments made after this date and prior to June 25 are subject to a $200 late fee.|
|June 25, 2021 at 5:00PM||Late Payment Deadline: If entries are not paid in full at this time, your teams will be deleted and a $200 late fee is due.|
|July 2, 2021 at 4:00PM||Draw: Draw for order of go will be made at this time. Riders and teams will be bound by their position in the draw.|
*All times are referenced in Mountain Time
*THIS IS NOT A DRAW. Please take time to check each class and confirm your entries are correct. If you see any errors please contact email@example.com.
- 7 Class Entry Confirmations May 30, 2021
- 10 Class Entry Confirmations May 31, 2021
- 14 Class Entry Confirmations May 31, 2021
- Open Class Entry Confirmations May 30, 2021
Important update regarding American Contestants
As we continue to plan for the 2021 Stampede, we are excited that many of our American contestants are interested in participating. However, we recognize the current restrictions at the Canadian border may prevent that from being possible. Please visit https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border for up to date restrictions.
Please assess the restrictions prior to the May 28th entry deadline and make your informed decision based on your comfort level. If you choose to enter and restrictions are still in place, you must plan to follow all requirements to cross the border. If your plans change, you will be required to inform the entries office of your intent to withdraw prior to June 23rd. Your teams will be removed from the draw and your entry fees will be fully refunded.
If you plan on attending with the restrictions in place you must follow the travel checklists on the site above, such as the 14-day quarantine. In addition to following the checklists, you must:
• Follow all health requirements in Alberta at the time, including wearing a mask
• use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information before and after you enter Canada
• follow all usual border crossing procedures (not related to COVID-19)
For any competitors that are considered a close contact and/or exhibiting symptoms of COVID19 you must not attend the event. You have the option of finding a replacement for your team, but each team must remain unique to all others in the competition and must adhere to the five (5) ride maximum per class rule. If that team cannot be filled, the team will receive a refund.
2021 Calgary Stampede Team Cattle Penning Qualifier Schedule - Silver Slate Arena, Stavely, AB
- July 13, 2021 – Open Class followed by 10 Class
- July 14, 2021 – 14 class followed by 7 Class
- This competition is based on a four go aggregate, with two runs held at Silver Slate and the top twenty (20) teams in each class progressing to compete in the Nutrien Western Event Center for round three (3) with the top ten (10) teams then advancing to the final round.
|Number of Teams Competing in Class||Number of Teams Advancing to the Second Round|
|Less than 100 teams||Half back up to a maximum of 50 teams will advance to the second round|
|101 – 160 teams||50 teams will advance to the second round|
|161 – 200 teams||60 teams will advance to the second round|
|201 – 240 teams||70 teams will advance to the second round|
|More than 240 teams||80 teams will advance to the second round|
2021 Calgary Stampede Team Cattle Penning Championships
- July 15-18, 2021 Third and Final Rounds –Nutrien Western Event Center, Calgary Stampede
- Round three (3) will consist of the top twenty (20) teams carried forward with aggregate scores from the qualifier in each class. The Final Round will consist of the top ten (10) teams based on the aggregate score from the previous three rounds.
|Thursday July 15, 2021||2:30pm||14 Class||Round three (3) and Final|
|Friday, July 16, 2021||2:30pm||10 Class||Round three (3) and Final|
|Saturday, July 17, 2021||2:30pm||Open Class||Round three (3) and Final|
|Sunday, July 18, 2021||2:30pm||7 Class||Round three (3) and Final|
*Please note that all competition times are subject to change; any changes will be posted on this website.
There is a one-time initial entry fee per team. No additional fees will be charged to teams qualifying for round three.
Important Entry Information
- Entries received after May 28, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. will NOT be accepted. This rule will be strictly enforced.
- Payments will not be due at this time. Separate invoices will be sent out to each competitor, and final payment will be due by 4:00 p.m. June 11, 2021.
- Individual invoices will be emailed out to each entrant by Friday June 4, 2021. If you do not receive an invoice please contact the entries office at 403-261-0162 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment must be received by 4:00 pm MST on Friday June 11, 2021 to the Calgary Stampede Agriculture Entries Office. If payment is not received by this time, entrant will be charged a $200.00 late fee per exhibitor payment that is late. If entries are not paid in full by Friday June 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm MST, your teams will be deleted immediately with late fee still owing. All teammates will be notified of the deletion.
- Confirmations of entries will be posted on this site by 4:00 p.m. Wednesday June 2, 2021.
- Team changes or deletions prior to 4:00 p.m. May 28, 2021 will be at a cost of $20.00 per change or deletion. This will appear on the invoice of the team member that has changed or deleted the team.
- Changes to team members or substitutions after 4:00 p.m. May 28, 2021 will be at a charge of $100 per change. After 8:00 am on Friday June 11, 2021 there will be no further changes permitted.
- If an entry is cancelled, all fees will be forfeited.
- The draw will be made at 5:00 p.m. Friday July 2, 2021 Riders and teams will be bound by their position in the draw.
- Each team must remain unique to all others in the competition and must adhere to the five (5) ride maximum per class rule. Failure to do so will result in a disqualified ride.
- Please enter team members in alphabetical order by last name in the descriptive field.
- The decision by the Western Performance Horse Committee is final.
For any competitors that are considered a close contact and/or exhibiting symptoms of COVID19 you must not attend the event. You have the option of finding a replacement for your team, but each team must remain unique to all others in the competition and must adhere to the five (5) ride maximum per class rule. If that team cannot be filled, the team receive a refund.
A 60 second time limit will apply for all classes.
"Once a cut off time has been established, the announcer will let each team know when the time has been exceeded. We encourage all teams to save time and cattle by tipping their hats."
- Each entrant can enter a maximum of five (5) times in each class.
- Each team must change out one rider in a class. The Team Coordinator and each team member must be declared at the time of entry.
- The completed entry form (including contact information for each rider) must be received in the Agriculture Entries Office by the listed dates. Entries not complying with the requirements will be rejected.
- Each team member must sign a waiver prior to entering the arena.
- Waivers will be made available at the arena entry desk. This waiver will apply to both the Qualifier event and the Calgary Stampede Team Cattle Penning Semi Finals and Finals.
- ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED ONLINE ONLY. ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED OVER THE PHONE. VISIT: http://penning.ca/online_entry/teamentry.aspx
- If an entry is cancelled, all fees will be forfeited.
- Should a qualified team choose not to advance in any round; the next best placing team will be offered the opportunity to proceed.
- There will be zero tolerance of any inhumane treatment of horses/cattle while in the show arena or on the competition grounds. Any such action will be cause for disqualification and forfeiture of any prize monies earned. Inhumane treatment includes, but is not limited to: excessive jerking, pulling, kicking, slapping or whipping.
- The Western Performance Horse committee reserves the right to alter the above rules, number of cross-entries, entry deadlines, payouts etc. Any such changes will be posted on this website.
- No person or organization may distribute flyers, post billings, display logos or provide information of any kind at any Calgary Stampede event which promotes organizations, associations or companies which are not affiliated with the Calgary Stampede or its corporate partners without the prior written permission of the Calgary Stampede. Such information may be destroyed without prior notice.
- No open alcohol will be permitted in the parking area.
- All entrants must hold a valid 2021 membership with the CTCPA.
- Any entrant who is not rated by the USTPA or CTCPA in 2021 must contact the CTCPA, in advance to receive their CTCPA rating (no added cost).
- Any Penner rated by the CTCPA for 2021 will be required to use that rating.
- All questions or concerns relating to ratings should be directed to the CTCPA. Contact Lorie Inglis at 403-479-8334 or email email@example.com.
Proudly presented by the Calgary Stampede Western Performance Horse Committee.