2020 Clock, Stock and Barrel
This timed trial challenges handlers and their stock dogs to move three sheep through a defined course and into a pen, in the fastest time. Keeping the sheep under control and on course can save valuable seconds.
The handler controls the dog, either through whistle or voice commands. The handler must stay in a circle drawn into the dirt at one end of the arena until all the sheep have come through the chute. Time stops when all the sheep are in the pen and the gate is closed.
|Event Date:||April 4, 2020|
|Early Entry Date:||February 24, 2020 9:00 AM|
|Entry Closing Date:||February 28, 2020 4:00 PM|
|Location:||Nutrien Western Event Centre|
Saturday, April 4, 2020
|7:00 AM||Handlers meeting – International Room, Agriculture Building. Pastries, tea and coffee will be served.|
|8:00 AM – 11:00 AM||First Go – Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena|
|11:00 AM – 12:00 PM||BREAK – Lunch provided|
|12:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Second Go – Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena|
|3:15 PM||3:15 pm: Finals – Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena|
*Times subject to change based on final entry numbers.
Each Go will be sanctioned as a trial by the ASDA, Alberta Stock Dog Association and the USBCHA, the United States Border Collie Handlers Association. The Finals will not be a sanctioned competition.
ENTRIES OPEN February 24, 2020 @ 9:00 am
ENTRIES CLOSE February 28, 2020 @ 4:00pm.
*Link to enter will be posted on February 24
- Forty (40) dogs will be accepted. Entries will be drawn by the first dog and then second dogs. Third dogs will be allowed to fill any shortfall in entries.
- Dog substitutions will be allowed until the start of the 1st Go Round.
- Each Go will be sanctioned as a trial by the ASDA, Alberta Stock Dog Association and the USBCHA, the United States Border Collie Handlers Association. The Finals will not be a sanctioned competition.
- Written notice of withdrawal from competition must be received by the Agriculture Entries Office by Friday, March 27, 2020 to be considered without penalty. Exhibitors canceling their entries after March 27, 2020 shall forfeit their entry fee.
- Parking is free to all competitors. There will be a tally at the entrance to the Park where you can provide your name for entry.
- Clean kennels will be available for dogs. Outside kennels are not permitted due to biosecurity measures. Please do not bring your own!
- Run order and course patterns will posted online once entries are closed and the order is drawn as per USBCHA rules. They will also be distributed at the Handlers Meeting on Saturday at 7:00 a.m.
- $150 Per Dog
- GST not applicable
- Includes sanctioning fees for both goes for Alberta Stock Dog Association and for the United States Border Collie Handlers Association.
If you require assistance with your entries please contact our entries office at 403-261-0336 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you!
Special attention is called to the following:
The following rules and conditions will be strictly enforced by the Stock Dog Committee:
- A maximum of forty (40) dogs will run in the First and Second Go Rounds. The top eight (8) aggregate scores will advance to the finals.
- Each go round will be considered a separate trial for the purpose of awarding the USBCHA and ASDA points. Points will not be awarded for the finals.
- Cumulative scores for the first and second go rounds will determine the top eight (8) finalists. The final is a sudden death round with scores from the prior two go rounds being eliminated.
- If two or more handlers are equal in time and points at pen time, the tie will be broken by chute times and points. During the finals, if a tie for first place still exists, there will be a run off.
- In the case of incomplete runs by all competitors, positions will be determined by chute times and points. Should this occur in the finals and a tie results, the aggregate scores from Rounds 1 and 2 will be use to break the tie. If a tie still exists, prize money will be split.
- Order of running will be determined by drawing for position by the Calgary Stampede Stock Dog Committee prior to the trials.
- The dog must be in the handlers circle prior to being sent; a 20 second penalty will be assessed if the dog is outside the circle when sent.
- This is a timed arena trial. Timing will start when the dog is sent or the gate closes after the 3rd sheep has entered the arena whichever occurs first.
- Dogs may be directed by voice or whistle (handlers may carry a stockman's cane or shepherd's crook).
- At least one sheep must complete each obstacle before proceeding on to the next obstacle. Retries are the handler's choice. If the handler decides to retry the obstacle, all of the sheep must be taken back to a point prior to the obstacle with the stopwatch running. Any previous points for that obstacle are forfeited.
- Knocking over an obstacle will result in all points lost for that obstacle.
- The handler must remain in the handler's circle at all times until the last sheep exits the chute. Failure to do so will result in a 20 second penalty per occurrence.
- Once the rope on the gate has been taken up by the handler it cannot be intentionally released until the sheep are penned. Releasing the rope to gain an advantage will result in a disqualification.
- At no time will a handler come in contact with the sheep except in the case where the sheep runs into the handler while blocking them. This includes contact with any part of the handler's body or any inanimate object. Contact with the sheep will result in a disqualification.
- Gripping and/or biting will result in disqualification.
- The judge can award a rerun at any time during the trial if circumstances warrant such action. In the case of a rerun, the judge will decide if the dog is to start from the beginning or a certain point of the run. If decided that the rerun shall start from another point other than the beginning, points and time up until the restart position will stand.
- No dogs will be allowed on the trial course prior to their run.
- Only competition dogs are allowed on Stampede Park. Please do not bring any non-competition dogs with you. Do not leave any animals in your vehicle. This is grounds for dismissal from the trial and forfeiture of all fees and prize money.
- Clean kennels will be provided for handlers. Outside kennels are not permitted due to biosecurity measures.
- Handlers must wear a western dress shirt, long pants and appropriate foot wear. Handlers must be in presentable clothing.
- Handlers are expected to be ready for their run when called. Handlers who fail to answer the call will be disqualified.
- Any abuse of dogs or livestock seen by the trial director or judge will result in the handler and all dogs entered under the handler’s name being disqualified and all monies won by the handler will be forfeited.
- At no time will a handler approach the judge. The judge's decision will be respected and considered final.
- The trial Judge reserves the right to call off a dog at any time. Dog and handler will be excused if in the opinion of the judge there is excessive running or over working of the livestock.
- If there is a discrepancy in the trial Judge's call, there will be a meeting of the arena director, the trial director and the trial judge before a final decision is imparted.
The Calgary Stampede Stock Dog Committee and Stampede Officials shall in their sole and unfettered discretion have the right at any time to add, delete, modify, waive or interpret a Rule or Rules in order to clarify or address a circumstance or action not previously outlined or contemplated in the existing Clock Stock & Barrel Rules or as Stampede Officials may deem appropriate for the betterment of the competition.
2020 Clock, Stock and Barrel Judge
- Jared Epp, Dundurn, SK
Everyone is invited to attend this free event and discover this exciting western equine sport being showcased in the Nutrien Western Event Center in conjunction with Aggie Days.
Admission to Aggie Days is FREE!
The Stock Dog programs are produced by the Calgary Stampede Livestock Competitions Committee and the Calgary Stampede Stock Dog Sub-Committee.