2020 Aggie Days Spring Extreme Cowboy Race
The Calgary Stampede is excited to once again be hosting an Aggie Days Extreme Cowboy Race.
The Extreme Cowboy Race, founded by famed horseman Craig Cameron, is a multi-faceted equestrian sporting event that showcases both horse and rider as they maneuver through a series of obstacles demonstrating both their amazing horsemanship skills and incredible speed.
This race is an ideal opportunity for our guests to experience the Extreme Cowboy style of racing by being a part of a large and loudly appreciative Aggie Days crowd in the Nutrien Western Event Center. The courses that our competitors will face will include some of the epic "Cowboy Up " obstacles that are used in our big Stampede event in July. On top of all that, for those cowboys and cowgirls who aspire to compete with the world's best, this spring race provides an opportunity to show off their very best horse and rider moves in the hopes of being considered in future years as an invitee for the famous Calgary Stampede's Cowboy Up Challenge.
|Event Date:||April 5, 2020|
|Early Entry Date:||February 17, 2020 9:00 AM|
|Entry Closing Date:||March 9, 2020|
|Location:||Nutrien Western Event Centre|
SUNDAY, APRIL 5, 2020
|7:00 – 9:00 a.m.||Competitors move in to Stampede Park Agriculture Barns|
|9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.||
Warm Up - Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena available
** From 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. The infield warm up arena will also be available for competitor warm up use, largely dependent upon weather being cooperative. Please note, this is not the rodeo/chuckwagon infield, the warm up arena is east of the main outdoor rodeo arena noted on attached map.
|10:30 a.m. –11:45 a.m.||Course Preparation - Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena closed to horses and riders|
|11:45 a.m. – 11:55 a.m.||Course Walk Through for Competitors and Judges|
|12:00 p.m.||Non Pro Race|
|2:30 p.m. (Approx.)||Open Race|
|3:45 p.m. (Approx.)||Results and Award Presentations for both classes will follow completion of the Open Race|
|4 p.m.– 6 p.m.||Post Competition exhibitors move out. All horses must be removed from the Ag Barns by 6 p.m.|
*Times are approximate and subject to change based on final entry numbers.
Entry Fees & Deadlines
- Entries Open: Monday, February 17, 2020 @ 9:00am
- Entries Close: Monday, March 9, 2020 @ 11:59pm
*Total entries will be limited to 25 rides. If an excess of entries occurs, both skill level and date of entry may be used to select the successful competitors. Early entry is encouraged.
- Open Entry: $130.00
- Non-Pro Entry: $130.00
*All entry fees include the use of a day stall, one parking pass for entry into Stampede Park and EXCA sanctioning fees
Two competitive class options will be offered:
- Primarily designed for EXCA Pro Riders and accomplished EXCA Non Pro and Senior Youth riders.
- Non Pro
- Primarily designed to accommodate those that show in the Non Pro Division as well as accomplished riders in the EXCA Ride Smart, Senior Youth and Intermediate Divisions.
Important Entry Information
- The competition is only open to current EXCA members. EXCA membership information
- To help riders qualify for the World Show, this event is an EXCA double point show.
- EXCA competitors may designate which division they wish their points to be allocated to. Points can only be allocated to any division once.
- Eg. Rider A enters Non Pro class. Rider A regularly competes in "Youth" division. Rider A declares on entry form that points earned in Non Pro class are to be allocated to the "Youth" division. Rider A also enters the Open class. Points earned in the Open class cannot be allocated to the "Youth" division as Rider A has already collected points for their "Youth" division in the previous Non Pro class.
- A rider may enter two horses and they may enter both classes if eligible.
- This Race is sanctioned by the Extreme Cowboy Association (EXCA). World Finals points will be earned for EXCA members in good standing.
- Youth riders must be 13 years or older and experienced EXCA competitors.
To Submit Your Entry
Please click on the following link: https://calgaryspring.fairwire.com/
All entries will be notified if they have been accepted into the competition three days following the closing date. If you have not received a confirmation email from our entries department, please contact us at 403-261-0336. All successful entries who have been accepted it into the competition will be invoiced.
If you require assistance with your entries please contact our entries office at 403-261-0336 or email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you!
Prize Money Payout
70% of the entry fees collected will be held in a jackpot for the prize payout.
Payouts will be awarded based on the below calculations:
1st Place – 40%
2nd Place – 30%
3rd Place – 20%
4th Place – 10%
Non Pro Division
1st Place – 40%
2nd Place – 30%
3rd Place – 20%
4th Place – 10%
Additional Prizes will be awarded to first, second and third placings in the Open Class and the Non Pro Class. No Sub-Division awards will be offered (e.g. Ride Smart, Intermediate, Youth, etc.).
Calgary Stampede Premise ID: AA02VQXC3
- Special attention is called to the following:
- Proper western dress is required, jeans, long sleeve western shirt, cowboy boots and cowboy hat (helmets are permissible).
- Order of go for the races will be decided by draw on Wednesday, April 1, 2020.
- Awards will be presented at the end of the competition on Sunday, April 5, 2020.
- This event is open to horses, ponies, and mules of any breed registry and non-registered/grade horses.
- The crowd and music at the event are considered to be part of the course, and each competitor acknowledges that the crowd and music may be a distraction to his/her horse.
- There will be zero tolerance for an inhumane treatment of horses while in the show arena or on the grounds. Any such action will be caused for disqualification and the forfeiture of all entry fees and any prize money. Inhumane treatment includes, but is not limited to, excessive jerking, pulling, kicking, slapping or whipping.
- If entry is cancelled, all fees will be forfeited. Substitutions will be allowed for the following reasons only:
- In the case of a disabling injury to the horse, the contestant must furnish a certificate from a qualified Veterinarian declaring the horse disabled and unable to compete. Such certificate must be in the hands of the Show management prior to the start of the contest.
- In the case of a disabling injury to the rider, or serious sickness or death in his/her family, Show management must be advised in writing prior to the start of the contest.
If you require clarification or have any concerns regarding the above information, please call (403) 261-9316.
Pete Fraser of High River, Alberta
Kim Hazlett of Calgary, Alberta
Everyone is invited to attend this free event and discover this exciting western equine sport being showcased in the Nutrien Western Event Center in conjunction with Aggie Days.
Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
Admission to Aggie Days is FREE!