2018 International Livestock Auctioneer Championships
Thirty-five? Thirty-five? Would you bid a thirty-five? Who's gonna bid it at a thirty-five dollar bid?
The fastest mouths in the west will be at it again this year during the 30th anniversary of the International Livestock Auctioneer Competition in the Nutrien Western Event Centre vying to win the $10,000 cheque that goes to the winner!
Contestants will start the bidding at the Olds Auction Mart in Olds, Alberta, with the top 10 advancing to the final round on Park on Saturday, July 14, 2018. That’s when we invite the public to get in on the action! Finalists will be required to sell brand consignment cattle and one Black Box item. You are welcomed get involved in the fun and excitement by bidding on any black box items that catch your eye.
Competitors will be judged on rhythm, clarity, voice control, and livestock knowledge, as well as their ability to spot bids and conduct a sale.
Brand Cattle Consignment
We are looking for cattle to consign to the finals of our Auctioneer Championships on Saturday, July 14. If you are interested please fill out this form. Registration deadline for cattle consignment is June 11, 2018.
|Event Dates:||July 13–14, 2018|
|Entry Closing Date:||June 11, 2018 4:00 PM|
|Location:||Offsite & Nutrien Western Event Centre|
THURSDAY, JULY 12, 2018 (Deerfoot Inn & Casino, Calgary, Alberta)
7:00 PM - 9:30 PM Informal reception for contestants at our host hotel the Deerfoot Inn
and Casino. Draw for selling order.
FRIDAY, JULY 13, 2018 (Olds Auction Mart, Olds, Alberta)
9:00 AM Orientation
10:00 AM Preliminary Round (transportation available to and from sale. (Location originating at the hotel)
SATURDAY, JULY 14, 2018 (Nutrien Western Events Center, Stampede Park)
9:00 AM Orientation & Breakfast for the Auctioneer Judges and Top Ten Finalists in the International Room. This breakfast is an orientation for the finalists and their spouses only. A draw will be made for Black Box items at this time.
11:30 AM Final Round Featuring the "Brand Consignment Sale" (Nutrien Western Event Centre)
The entry fee is $350.00 Canadian Funds (non-refundable).
All entry fees will be allocated to prize money, G.S.T. not applicable. Facsimiled entries will be accepted if accompanied with complete credit card information. Entry forms must be filled in completely.
Champion - $10,000 (Highest prize money for a livestock auctioneer competition in the world!)
Reserve Champion - $2,000
Third - $1,000
Fourth - $500
Fifth thru Tenth - $350
The 10 finalists will be presented with an award for the Final Round, which is held in the Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena on Stampede Park on Saturday, July 14 commencing at 11:30 am. This is an actual sale of animals that are contributed by Canadian ranchers. Each finalist will sell five drafts including one brand consignment animal and one other consignment.
The finalist selling order will be done on a draw basis, which will be made immediately following the Preliminary Round.
The International Livestock Auctioneer Champion will receive $10,000 in prize money and a custom designed belt buckle.
The Reserve Champion Auctioneer will receive $2,000 in prize money and a custom designed belt buckle.
The top Rookie will be awarded a custom designed belt buckle.
- Past champions of the International Livestock Auctioneer Competition are not eligible for entry in this contest. Livestock Auctioneers from any country are eligible to compete.
- All contestants will compete in an actual sale, which will be held at Olds Auction Mart, Olds, AB on Friday, July 13 commencing at 11:30 am. Each Auctioneer will sell a minimum of four drafts. It is the responsibility of each contestant to start their draft of cattle, market information will be provided for the contestant. The contestants will sell in the order drawn the previous Thursday evening.
- Both the Preliminary and Final Rounds will be judged by the same panel of five judges with the high and low scores being dropped and an average of the remaining three used. The aggregate score of both the Preliminary Round and Final Round will be used to determine the final placings. Preliminary and Final round scores will not be posted; only the end results will be public knowledge.
- The scores will be based on:
- spotting bids
- repartee and timing
- rhythm, clarity and voice control
- livestock knowledge and the ability to conduct a sale
- appearance, mannerisms and deportment.
- In the event of a tie for 10th place in the Preliminary Round, the high and low scores dropped will be used to break the tie. If the scores remain tied, the auctioneers will be asked to sell one more draft each. In the event of a tie in the first four places in the Final Round, the high and low scores will once again be taken into account. If a tie still exists, the high and low scores from the Preliminary Round will be used. If a tie still exists, the auctioneers in question will be asked to sell one more draft each.
- Rookie Award - Please indicate on the entry form if you have been a graduate of an auction school in the past five years (Previous winners are not eligible).
- It is permissible for an employee or owner of the Host Market to compete in the International Livestock Auctioneers Competition, on the year that they are host.
- The International Livestock Auctioneer Committee reserves the right to decide on any point not covered by the above regulations.
For more information, please contact Julie Garvey, Agriculture Programming Manager 403.261.0127, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
An official accreditation pass will be needed by all those requiring park access for the 2018 Stampede and all future Stampedes. In addition to granting access to Stampede Park, the photo accreditation will indicate which restricted areas each person can enter based on individual requirements. Accreditation is year specific, and a new pass will be issued each year. The Agriculture Accreditation pass gives you access to the Grandstand Rush areas for the Rodeo, Chuckwagons, and Evening Show. The pass must be purchased on the entry application for a fee of $35.00 (G.S.T. included) each. These badges are a privilege of the exhibitors, and will be limited. Exhibitors are responsible for lost or forgotten badges.
The host hotel for the 2018 International Livestock Auctioneers Competition is the Deerfoot Inn and Casino.
To book your room, please call the Reservations Department, toll-free at 1-888-875-4667
Delegates must identify themselves as being with the International Livestock Auctioneers Competition.
Marty Ward (Chair), Scott McKinnon (Vice-Chair), Connie Hykaway (2nd Vice-Chair), Bryan Danard (Past Chair), Alison Collins, Rob Bergevin, Dale Dola, Tanya Hagel, Ben Payne, Chance Martin, Greg Sanderson, Dan Skeels, Ron Ward, Bruce Hepburn and Dale Befus (CS Director Liaison)
Melissa McKay (Competitions Manager), Julie Garvey (Agriculture Programming Manager)