2018 Clock, Stock and Barrel
Stock Dog Arena Trial
This timed trial challenges handlers and their stock dogs to move three sheep through a defined course and into a pen, in the fastest time. Keeping the sheep under control and on course can save valuable seconds.
The handler controls the dog, either through whistle or voice commands. The handler must stay in a circle drawn into the dirt at one end of the arena until all the sheep have come through the chute. Time stops when all the sheep are in the pen and the gate is closed.
2018 Course Layouts
Watch the Live action here
|Event Date:||April 14, 2018|
|Entry Closing Date:||March 9, 2018|
|Location:||Nutrien Western Event Centre|
Entries will not be accepted by the Calgary Stampede Agriculture Entries Office before 8:00 a.m. MST, Monday, March 5, 2018.
Entry forms must be received by the Calgary Stampede Agriculture Entry Office by Friday March 9th, 2018 4:00pm MST.
**New – Entries process for the Calgary Stampede Clock Stock & Barrel. Please note that entries are NO LONGER time stamped and entries will NOT be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. All positions will be filled by the below process.
Handlers names will be drawn and corresponding number of dogs for that handler will be provided a spot(s) (up to 2 dogs) until 40 spots are filled. Remaining entries will be drawn to create a waitlist of potential competitors if a spot is to open up.
In the instance a handler with 2 dogs is drawn, though there is only 1 spot remaining available, the handler will have the option to forfeit the entry with no penalty, OR have one (1) confirmed dog and the second dog will be first on waitlist.
Only confirmed entries will be charged.
Entries are limited to 40 dogs. Handlers are eligible to enter two dogs. In the event that our competition roster is not full under the 'two dogs per handler' rule, we will accept a third entry from handlers who wish to do so, and a draw will be made from this pool to make up the shortfall. If you wish to enter a third dog, please indicate it on your entry form but do not include the associated entry fees for the dog. Our Entries Office will contact you for payment, should the occasion arise.
Dog substitutions will be allowed until the start of the 1st Go Round.
Written notice of withdrawal from competition must be received by the Agriculture Entries office by Friday, March 30, 2018 to be considered without penalty. Exhibitors canceling their entries after March 30, 2018 shall forfeit their entry fee.
Saturday, April 14, 2018
7:00 am: Handlers meeting - International Room, Agriculture Building. Pastries, tea and coffee will be served.
8:00 am - 11:00 am: First Go - Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena
11:00am - Noon BREAK Lunch provided
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm: Second Go - Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena
3:15 pm: Finals – Nutrien Western Event Centre Arena
Times subject to change based on final entry numbers.
Each Go will be sanctioned as a trial by the ASDA, Alberta Stock Dog Association and the USBCHA, the United States Border Collie Handlers Association. The Finals will not be a sanctioned competition.
$100 per dog. GST not applicable.
$14 for sanctioning fees for both goes for Alberta Stock Dog Association and for the United States Border Collie Handlers Association.
Parking is free to all competitors. There will be a tally at the entrance to the Park where you can provide your name for entry.
Clean kennels will be available for dogs.
Run order and course patterns will be distributed at the Handlers Meeting on Saturday 7:00 a.m.
Special attention is called to the following:
The rules and conditions will be strictly enforced by the Sheep Committee.
1. A maximum of forty (40) dogs will run in the First and Second Go Rounds. The top eight (8) aggregate scores will advance to the finals.
2. Each go round will be considered a separate trial for the purpose of awarding the USBCHA and ASDA points. Points will not be awarded for the finals.
3. Cumulative scores for the first and second go rounds will determine the top eight (8) finalists. The final is a sudden death with scores from the prior two go rounds bring eliminated.
4. Order of running will be determined by drawing for position by the Calgary Stampede Sheep Committee prior to the trials.
5. The dog must be in the handlers circle prior to being sent; a 20 second penalty will be assessed if the dog is outside the circle when sent.
6. This is a timed arena trial. Timing will start when the dog is sent or the gate closes after the 3rd sheep has entered the arena whichever occurs first.
7. Dogs may be directed by voice or whistle (handlers may carry a stockman's cane or shepherd's crook).
8. At least one sheep must complete each obstacle before proceeding on to the next obstacle. Retries are the handler's choice. If the handler decides to retry the obstacle, all of the sheep must be taken back to a point prior to the obstacle with the stopwatch running. Any previous points for that obstacle are forfeited.
9. Knocking over an obstacle will result in all points lost for that obstacle.
10. The handler must remain in the handler's circle at all times until the last sheep exits the chute. Failure to do so will result in a 20 second penalty per occurrence.
11. Once the rope on the gate has been taken up by the handler it cannot be intentionally released until the sheep are penned. Releasing the rope to gain an advantage will result in a disqualification.
12. At no time will a handler come in contact with the sheep except in the case where the sheep runs into the handler while blocking them. This includes contact with any part of the handler's body or any inanimate object. Contact with the sheep will result in a disqualification.
13. Gripping and/or biting will result in disqualification.
14. If two or more handlers are equal in time and points at pen time, the tie will be broken by chute times and points. In case of incomplete runs by all competitors, positions will be determined by chute times and points.
15. The judge can award a rerun at any time during the trial if circumstances warrant such action. In the case of a rerun, the judge will decide if the dog is to start from the beginning or a certain point of the run. If decided that the rerun shall start from another point other than the beginning, points and time up until the restart position will stand.
16. No dogs will be allowed on the trial course prior to their run.
17. Only competition dogs are allowed on Stampede Park.18. Handlers must wear a western dress shirt.
18. Dogs must be clean and groomed.
19. Handlers are expected to be ready for their run when called. Handlers who fail to answer the call will be disqualified.
20. Any abuse of dogs or livestock seen by the trial director or judge will result in the handler and all dogs entered under the handlers name being disqualified and all monies won by the handler will be forfeited.
21. At no time will a handler approach the judge. The judge's decision will be respected and considered final.
22. The trial Judge reserves the right to call off a dog at any time. Dog and handler will be excused if in the opinion of the judge there is excessive running or over working of the livestock.
23. If there is a discrepancy in the trial Judge's call, there will be a meeting of the arena director, the trial director and the trial judge before a final decision is imparted.
The Calgary Stampede Sheep Committee and Stampede Officials shall in their sole and unfettered discretion have the right at any time to add, delete, modify, waive or interpret a Rule or Rules in order to clarify or address a circumstance or action not previously outlined or contemplated in the existing Clock Stock & Barrel Rules or as Stampede Officials may deem appropriate for the betterment of the competition.
2018 Clock Stock and Barrel Judge: Shawn Wells, Pincher Creek, Alberta
The Stock Dog programs are produced by the Calgary Stampede Sheep Committee.
Karen Jones (Chair), Ineke Gibson (1stVice Chair), Garth Lockwood, (Past Chair), John Third (Director Liaison), Susan Peterson (Agriculture Programming Manager), Erin Ashbacher, Pam Barker, Marlene Bruneau, Heather Campbell, Sharyn Dickson, Tim Hamm, Gwen Haynes, Kevin Hogg, Roxana Ile, Steve Jones, Leah Kemppainen, Al Lennox, Geoff Matticks, Heather Mills, Kurt Paskal, Clarence Paterson, John Pears, Dan White, Gloria Williams, Paul Williamson, Terry Zajac